Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Cafe Felix 530 E. Benson, across from the Mall at Sears

I think its funny how anytime I want to go someplace downtown I will say, "Hi Galaxy" (thats my phone). She reply's, "At your service cj" I laugh every time. I will then say, "Navigate to ____________" and she will proceed to give me directions and they usually always go like this, "continue down dewberry and turn right onto 88th, stay on 88th and continue onto Northwood, turn right onto Raspberry and take the Minnesota North on ramp. Turn right onto Todor, turn left onto C st. Its at this point in the trip that it changes, today I turned right onto Benson.  I like to think about our "navigation" to heaven. There are a few steps that are for everyone and it never changes, however there is a point in the journey that it becomes very individual as each persons personal relationship is different. Of course the destination is the same but for some our journey may cross other bridges and go down other roads as we each struggle with different issues and God works in us in His timing and as long as we continue to listen to the GPS (God's Providing Spirit).

If I make a wrong turn on my journey, my phone says, "recalculating" and then from that point gets me back on track, if I follow its instruction. Sometimes I have made such a wrong turn that it simply says, "Turn around when possible." God is that way too, sometimes I mess up and from that point He simply recalculates (in away) taking my errors into account and redirects me redeeming the error for His glory. Other times He simply says, "Turn around" which is code for "repent" which means to turn from sin, literally to turn around from the error of my ways.

I walked into Cafe Felix this afternoon and was greeted at the door by statues, Hindu, Buddhist and others, each one staring at me.  I caught myself staring back and then from behind the counter the clerk said, "Can I help you?" I wondered if he could, was I in the wrong place? I thought. Catching my thoughts I saw from the corner the cafe part of this establishment. I said, "Nope, I see it now, thank you though" and with a smile I turned into Cafe Felix.

I walked up to the counter, the barista greeting me with a warm smile asked if she could help me (I must really have looked lost).  I asked for a menu, ordered an americano and a grilled cheese, the sandwich came with feta, cheddar, tomato and bacon and was super yummy! served with tortilla chips and salsa...tortilla chips seem to be the chip of choice for Cafe's in Anchorage. The coffee was exceptional, an organic brazilian blend, smooth and not bitter in the least bit with an earthy flavor.  The room is arranged like a thrift store exploded with different tables and chairs and table clothes. In the center of the room four chairs around a gas wood stove and in the corner a small stage for open mic night or like events.

The internet was down so I tried yet another feature of my galaxy phone, wifi hotspot. Excellent! As I sat and watched people come and go there is a large verity of clientele but I had a feeling that they each shared a common understanding of where they were as opposed to me, still a bit confused, was it the eclectic blend of music playing? Literally from, Bluegrass, Country, Frank Sinatra, Top 40 and Christmas music...what? My ears didn't know what to think. Or was my confusion the result of the potpourri explosion that occurred? or incense or maybe the scented candles? Either way the smells mixed with coffee and grilled cheese confused me I am sure. As the place cleared out and I really began to think I was reminded of my GPS.

God's Providing Spirit. This place as I thought about it would be a great location for a walking with Jesus meeting. As I prepare to launch several options during the week, this place has won (at least for the moment) a spot on the circuit. I don't think it was on accident that I found this place but rather on purpose. When Paul saw the many altars in Athens he didn't run away, he went into the heart of it and proclaimed the Truth. Everyone's journey must start with, believing Jesus died for them, ask for forgiveness, accepting the gift of salvation, repenting of their sin and begin to walk in a manner that is pleasing to God. Jesus said,  "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." So why not take the message into the heart of a place that has many altars to other god's? Yes, I think I will.

All in all Cafe Felix gets 4 out of 5 cups U>U>U>U>
Cafe Felix on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. Hi ,
    Your first post just appeared on Urbanspoon! Check it out:
    I encourage you to claim your blog, which allows you to add a picture and change some settings. The blog photo shows up next to your posts wherever they appear on Urbanspoon. Here's how to claim:
    - Make sure you're logged into Urbanspoon
    - Go to your blog page on our site: http://www.urbanspoon.com/br/64/6768/Anchorage/Coffee-Yes-Please.html

    - Click "Claim your blog" in the left sidebar
    After you submit it, we may contact you to verify your claim. Check your spam email folder if your claim hasn't gone through in a day or two. You'll also find some interesting badges and widgets on your Urbanspoon blog page - look in the right sidebar.
    Let me know if you have any questions.
    Thanks,
    Ken
    www.urbanspoon.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wondered who had written a comment to my blog, anitasadventures, with a story by my dad. Who would be the youngest of the youngest of the youngest? I was surprised to see your picture! But yes, you're right.
    This is a great post. Please let us know how your coffee sharing time goes in this unique coffee house. Yes, I'd like coffee too!

    ReplyDelete